Friday, December 2, 2011

Too Many Things Went Wrong!!

We should have known Wednesday was going to be a bad day.  When we went to bed Tuesday night I already had a headache.  I had been taking my medication to try and stop it from being a full blown migraine, but at 2am I knew I was in trouble.  When the alarm went off at 430am I knew there was no way I was going to be able to drive Dustin to Tulsa for his Spidey Juices, so I called my dad and asked him if he would take him.  (Dustin and I could not do this without the support and help from my parents!) Before Dustin left I made sure he had his bag of goodies for his treatment.  He had his Jolly Ranchers, Lemon Heads, water bottle, Zofran, and Compazine.  I tried to give him is pain medicine but he kept telling me he didn't need it.  I told him 3-4 times to take it, but he wouldn't.  You see after he gets his Spidey Juices he doesn't have any pain, so he doesn't take his pain meds for about a week. I was in no mood to argue with him, so I went back to bed.

So Dustin and Pooh were off, they made their way to Tulsa.  They made the usually stop at McDonald's and had breakfast and then were at the Dr.'s office.  Dustin went to have his blood drawn and his port was accessed by the nurse, for some reason she told him, "If your counts are low and you can't have chemo today, your nurse can remove this".  Why did she that!!!!  He said she jinxed me!

A little history on one of Dr. M's nurses.....On Dustin's first visit to see Dr. M, his nurse told Dustin, "Good Luck", as she left the room.  Dustin and I just looked at each other.  We didn't know to laugh or cry.  On his second visit, as she left the room she said "God Bless".  Our mouths hit the floor.....Dustin looked at me and said, is that a good thing or a bad thing?
After that it became a joke to see what she would say at each visit.  She usually says "God Bless".  Well, Wednesday she was silent, no "God Bless", "Good Luck", " Have a Blessed Day", nothing!  Dustin said he knew he was in trouble then...too many things have gone wrong!

Dr. M came in to see him, he examined him and told him everything looked good.  He was just about to leave the room and he said "Oh, I forgot to look at your blood work".  This is when he informed Dust, "You will NOT be getting treatment today".  Dustin's neutrophils were 0.6, the lowest they can be and still do chemo is 1.5!  Dr. M kept asking him if he felt OK, which Dustin did, but he asked him so many times Dustin said he questioned himself....."Do I feel OK? I think I feel OK".  The nurse came in and removed the needle from his port, which apparently my dad would not watch, but Dustin kept trying to show him.

Now we have to go back next Wednesday for blood work and chemo and then Thursday he will get an injection to help boost his blood counts.  Once you start these injections you can not stop them, so now we have to decide if we are going to drive back home Wednesday and drive back to Tulsa Thursday or get a hotel.  I don't know if Dustin can handle the drive on Thursday, but I also know if our bank account can handle staying in Tulsa 2x a month!

So he and Pooh made the drive back home, and what happens.....he is in pain.....he doesn't have any pain meds...Why?.....because he wouldn't take them!  Needless to say he was one cranky person when he got home.  He took his meds and went straight to bed! 

Maybe next Wednesday will be better.

;-) Delana

No comments:

Post a Comment